Raising Concerns

If you are worried about your child please do get in touch with their form teacher or their Head of Year and we will do our very best to help. If it is a concern about progress in a subject, friendship problems, bullying, health issues or their emotional well-being, we will try to help find a solution with you and to give them the best possible support in school.

If you are worried about your child or any other child being at risk of harm then we have a safeguarding responsibility to help. We will not be able to investigate but we will be able to pass the concerns on, in confidence, to the authorities who will help immediately.  The person you should speak to first is Mrs Watson, our Designated Safeguarding Lead. Leave your number with the school and Mrs Watson or one of our Alternate Designated Safeguarding Leads, will call you back.

If you have worries about your child’s safety online then this website has lots of useful information and can help you take steps to keep them safe. If you are worried about who your child is talking to online you can get instant advice and support on this site.


Early Help

Early help is about preventing problems from escalating. At Holbrook Academy this can involve intensive intervention or lighter touch support and is usually based on a clear support plan.

Early help is a form of targeted intervention, with a specific action or actions being put in place to address a defined issue or combination of issues. At Holbrook Academy we offer the following as part of our Early Help:

  • Key Worker (staff mentor and advocate)
  • Counselling
  • ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant)
  • Learning interventions
  • Screening for SPLD
  • Timeout cards
  • Access to the Learning Support Hub

The above is not exhaustive.


You might also find the information from the following organisations useful. It is organised into four sections:  Support for You as a Parent or Carer; Supporting Your Child’s Well-being; Welfare and Financial Advice; Government – Local and National.

Support for You as a Parent or Carer

Dad-Info:  Information on pregnancy, birth and babies; work, money and law; relationships, parenting and separation from a fathers’ perspective.  http://www.dad.info/

Family Lives: Parenting and family support.  Telephone helpline: 0808 800 2222    http://familylives.org.uk/

Fatherhood Information Centre: National Information Centre on fatherhood.   www.fatherhoodinstitute.org

National Autistic Society: The National Autistic Society supports the parents and carers of children who have a confirmed diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder.  http://www.autism.org.uk/

Lighthouse (Domestic Abuse): Lighthouse (formerly Ipswich Women’s Aid) provides a 24-hour helpline (answer phone may operate at times).  Advice, support and/or temporary accommodation for women (and their children) experiencing abuse in their personal or family relationships.   Tel. No: 01473 745111     http://www.lighthousewa.org.uk/

Suffolk Family Carers: Help with information, support and advocacy.  http://www.suffolkfamilycarers.org


Supporting Your Child’s Well-being

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre: The Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) works across the UK tackling child sex abuse and providing advice.  www.ceop.gov.uk

NSPCC:  National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.  Telephone: 0800 800 5000     www.nspcc.org.uk

Relate – The Relationship People:  Advice on family life and parenting.  http://www.relate.org.uk/relationship-help/help-family-life-and-parenting

Suffolk Mental Health: Mental Health Services for Children and Young People in Suffolk.


Suffolk Mind:  Suffolk Mind provides information for anyone who wants to help someone improve their mental health and wellbeing.  https://www.suffolkmind.org.uk/

Young Minds:  A UK charity committed to improving the emotional wellbeing and mental health of children and young people.   http://www.youngminds.org.uk/parents


Welfare and Financial Advice

Information about benefits:  Government information about benefits.  GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Ipswich and District Citizens Advice Bureau: Ipswich and District Citizens Advice Bureau information, advice and advocacy service. Offering specialist help in the areas of Debt, Employment and Welfare Benefits.                  http://www.citizensadviceipswich.org.uk

Suffolk County Council – Children, Families and Learning:  Provides information, advice and assistance for families, children and young people aged 0-19 years.                                                        www.suffolk.gov.uk/EducationAndLearning/EarlyEducationAndChildcare/AboutUs/SuffolkFamiliesInformationService.htm


Government – Local and National

Community Services Directory:  Community Services Directory with details of local clubs, activities, organisations and services.  www.suffolk.gov.uk/infolink

Ipswich Borough Council:   www.ipswich.gov.uk

Public Services Information:  A wide range of public services information.   www.gov.uk

Suffolk County Council:  www.suffolkcc.gov.uk